In Judaism, men customarily cover their heads with a skullcap as a sign of humility before God, though it is not mandated by law. In Hebrew, it is called a kippah; in Yiddish, a yarmulke. In Europe, the custom dates to the end of the 16th century. Learn how to wear a kippah (yarmulke) with this Howcast guide.
You Will Need
* A kippah, also known as a yarmulke
* A male head
* Bobby pins or hair clips
* A female head
Step 1: Fasten kippah to head
Fasten the kippah to your head with bobby pins or hair clips. Larger ones can sit on the head without fasteners, though they may fall off during intense activity. These are best for bald men.
*Tip: When visiting a synagogue or attending a Jewish wedding or other ceremony, non-Jewish men may be given yarmulkes to wear for the service.
Step 2: For Orthodox men ...
Orthodox men generally wear the skullcap at all times.
Step 3: For Conservative men ...
Conservative men generally wear the kippah during prayer and at synagogue.
Step 4: For Reform men ...
For Reform men, the kippah is generally optional.
Step 5: Remove when bathing or swimming
When bathing or swimming, remove the kippah.
Step 6: Jewish women
Some Jewish women, mainly Reform, also wear the kippah.
Some scholars believe the word yarmulke derives from the Aramaic for "one who fears God."
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades